Tag Archives: Punctuation

The Period

People often don’t know that English has three (or four) names for this punctuation mark. If you use the wrong one, Canadians will understand you, but you will sound strange.

At the end of sentence, it is called a period, or a full stop in England.

In mathematics, it is called a point. For 3.14, say “Three point one four.”

On the internet, we say dot. For google.ca, say “google dot sea eh.”